CBS Corporation Senior Reporter in London, United Kingdom
CBS BUSINESS UNIT: CBS Interactive
JOB TYPE: Full-Time Staff
JOB LOCATION: London, United Kingdom
CBS Interactive is the premier online content network for information and online operations of CBS Corporation as well as some of the top native digital brands in the entertainment industry. Our brands dive deep into the things people care about across entertainment, technology, news, games, business and sports. With over 1 billion users visiting our properties every quarter, we are a global top 10 web property and one of the largest premium content networks online.
Check us out on  The Muse,  Instagram and  YouTube for an inside look into 'Life At CBSi' through employee testimonials, office photos and company updates.
The senior reporter is responsible for delivering stories across a broad range of business and technology subjects, and will play a key role in helping to set and maintain the strategic direction of the publication. The senior reporter is expected to generate a rich stream of breaking news stories as part of TechRepublic’s global news team. They will be expected to contribute on- and off-diary story ideas, and deliver highly polished copy to tight deadlines. They will use their wide network of industry contacts to monitor key trends and events that are pertinent to users, vendors, products, technologies and standards across a range of beats as agreed with the editor. They will be required to use this knowledge to help prioritise stories and contribute to the writing of comment and in-depth analysis. The senior reporter is expected to build and maintain contact with vendors, analysts, users and implementers of technology, and to coordinate with other international TechRepublic reporters and other contributors on news stories and other projects as necessary. The senior reporter will be expected to support the editor as required, taking an active role in setting the news agenda and assisting other reporters by suggesting stories or potential angles, and mentoring other members of the team as required. The senior reporter is expected to be highly engaged with social media, making strong use of social networking sites such as Twitter and Facebook, LinkedIn and others to promote stories, engage with readers, carry out research and help brand awareness. They should also maintain a dialogue with key companies within their beat to ensure TechRepublic remains a high on their agenda. They should maintain a responsive presence on- and off-site, encouraging readers to see TechRepublic as authoritative and approachable.
* * As an experienced technology journalist, the senior reporter will already possess highly developed writing, interviewing and related communications skills. They will have mastered several key subject areas, which will include a good knowledge of issues impacting companies, technology and product strategies within those areas, and will be ready to expand their breadth of knowledge and expertise. A good general knowledge of the whole enterprise technology sector is essential, as is the ability to cover stories outside their own area when required.
* * The senior reporter will be responsible for generating their own ideas for stories and establishing the important issues that need investigating.
* * A senior reporter should typically produce (and be capable of more when the occasion demands) two or three articles a day, each ranging from 200 to 500 words, though this number will vary widely depending on length and type of article (they could be anything from 200-word briefs to 1200-word analyses or Q&As).
* * Video skills. A senior reporters should be comfortable conducting interviews on video and being interviewed on video or radio/podcast. They should also be prepared to take photographs, or create or find news worthy graphics, images and charts for their stories.
* * Develop your already wide knowledge of the tech industry to include key technologies, products and trends, key companies and key individuals across a number of beats
* * Work with the editor to ensure comprehensive and appropriate coverage of news across the industry
* * Monitor relevant competition to ensure we cover the important stories across the beats
* * Monitor industry events relevant to coverage and ensure that the editorial diary is up to date accordingly
* * Generate story ideas to submit to the editor based on developments in beat.
* * Generate off-diary story ideas that nobody else is writing
* * Cultivate relationships and develop a dialogue with readers with knowledge of technologies that fall within your beat
* * Develop ideas for, and write, reader-based stories
* * Cover industry events and press announcements relevant to beat areas
* * Write regular analysis pieces on issues covered in the course of news gathering
* * Write up Q&As for based on interviews with notably personalities
* * Contribute ideas, tips and insight to the global news team
* * Keep track of key product and technology roadmaps
What you bring to the team:
You have -
* * Able to write different types of news story, from short, snappy briefs to long analytical pieces, with good news structure
* * Have an excellent grasp of grammar, punctuation and sentence construction
* * Consistently producing copy that needs a minimum of editing
* * Pay high attention to accuracy, checking facts, figures and 'common-sense' errors
* * Able to spot potential legal issues with a story
* * Able to edit copy when required, including stories outside of your normal beat.
* * Able to grasp complex issues and explain them in a clear, readable way
* * Know when to escalate issues that may arise before, during or after a story has been written
* * Good interviewing skills
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled